Re: [OM] T32 Flash operation with OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 Flash operation with OM-4Ti
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:10:36 +0800 (WST)
Cc: mattias.kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Mattias,

Thanks for answering my questions but I have to ask quite a few more.
Probably because I'm stupid and not really thinking, or it's Friday and
my head is filled with Y2K problems instead...I dunno but I'm having
trouble attempting to comprehend all this flash stuff. I know of only
two flash concepts - complete auto program mode, and the old
ISO/distance/F-stop tables.

> Yes you have auto mode,
>
> If you set the camera on AUTO-exposure, you will get TTL-flash metering.
> The camera will even tell if the object was over/under exposed via the
> viewfinder display.

1) So the intensity of the flash varies according to the aperture I set
   (and the distance of the subject)??

2) I assume you're talking about the OTF over/under exposure symbols.
   I found it very hard to get it to get it to blink over/under (by
   setting high ISO, largest aperture, really close to the subject,
   etc.) and when it did, it appeared after the shot was taken!! What's
   the point of that?? I have to test/waste a frame to determine that
   I'm over/under exposed??
   The other Over symbol (bottom left) seems to beep depending on the
   the ISO/distance/aperture but independent of flash.

3) I bought the "Complete Olympus User's Guide" today and it mentioned
   "The T32, too, is equipped with a reversible panel for selecting the
    flash mode. If the blank side is visible, the unit will use TTL
    flash metering with the OM-2...".

   The reversible panel on the T32 flash is only for the convenience of
   the photographer right?? There aren't any hidden switches to detect
   which side the panel is on?? Similary the same goes for the GN32 and
   GN16 slide bar?? No electronic switches linked to them too??

> This controls are only applicable when ser the camera on MANUAL, and the
> shutter speed to 1/60th. The notches are, from the left of the back.- Full
> flash, GN 32 (meter) - "half" flash, GN 16 (meter)
> For these two notches you have calculate the aperture depending of the
> disatns to the object.
>
> After these there are three diffrent, flash-controled auto-exposure modes.
> All you have to is set the aperture to what is marked, and the falsh will
> control the amount of ligth. You have be carefule so the panels ASA,
> matches the film you use :).

I concede...I'm completely stupid and can't see how this works. I think
I understand you correctly :-

1) I can control the intensity of the flash by setting to GN 32 or GN
   16. But the ISO->Distance->F-stop stays the same!! Therefore, if I
   were to have ISO 100 and the subject is 4 metres away from me, the
   table already says F8. If I play around with the GN 32<->16 slide,
   I'll either under/over expose the shot!!
2) I don't even know where to begin with the other 3 notches :-).

> Call Olympus, and the will send you a manual for free.

No they won't :-(. I called up today and it's gonna cost me $10 per book
and I need 3 (OM-4Ti, T32, Bounce Grip 2).

Once again, I apologise for asking probably trivial questions to most of
you...but perplexing to me. Thank you for being so patient and assisting
me with this new system. I feel like I've skipped an entire generation to
manual flash photography. As mentioned before, I only know of the old
rigid F-stop table system and the complete auto program stuff.

> //Mattias

Sean
--
Sean H.Y. Chan (sean@xxxxxxxxxx)