Re: [OM] Is it that bad - yep indeedy!

Subject: Re: [OM] Is it that bad - yep indeedy!
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 13:35:06 +0100
George wrote:

> You're being a bit harsh, aren't you?  Oly can be more than a snapshot
camera,
> can't it?  It may not be the perfect setup for wildlife, but seems to me
a 4T
> with a 350/2.8 and a 1.4X, giving an effective 500/4 EDIF, or maybe with
the 2X
> for 700/5.6, would be a reasonable setup, no?

Okay, okay. So I was being a bit harsh, but you get my drift Oly has done
nothing for us in over a decade except impose ridiculously high prices on
its loyal followers.

In its defence, the OM system (4Ti) has metering second to none, the lenses
are so sharp they could cut you and the macro system is superb. I use my
4Ti for all my 35mm landscape work and macro work, but for general wildlife
Olympus definately lacks the big guns.

I did acquire a 350mm f/2.8 and a legendary 1.4x converter and yes, since I
got this setup, my photography improved no-end. However, 500mm f/4 is only
just enough for doing small birds and only then if you are working from a
hide (blind). If you are stalking then 600mm is the order of the day. Even
when working from my hide I tend to always use my N*kk*r 600mm f/5.6 IFED,
usually with a 25mm tube and/or a 1.4x converter. I wouldn't dream of using
a 2x converter, even on the 350mm f/2.8, because the quality is just not up
to it.

I have to confess I sold my 350mm f/2.8 and 1.4x to a list member here in
England and replaced it with an AF N*kk*r 300mm f/2.8. The latter lens is
definately not as contrasty as the former, but it is as sharp and certainly
much lighter, so I can now carry both the 600mm and 300mm together. I could
never manage the 600mm and the 350mm because of weight. I have to confess I
still only own the N*k*n F4s and the two lenses, the rest is entirely
Zuiko.

I am still an Oly follower and recently bought Paul Tokaroswki's 18mm f/3.5
Zuiko which I intend to send a post about later. However, just on this
note, I don't think PT ever used his Oly gear, its definately 11 on a scale
of 1 to 10.

John.