[OM] digital backs; OM as the "ultimate" system; battery hogs

Subject: [OM] digital backs; OM as the "ultimate" system; battery hogs
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 06:09:59 -0700
"They are probably developing a digital back."

I posted this before, but it can't hurt to repeat it. A rep from Olympus
recently told me that it is no secret that all companies (including
Olympus) are developing digital backs. Whether they will be affordable
-- indeed, whether we will ever see an Olympus model -- are open
questions.

My feeling is "yes." Olympus is a leader in digital photography. The
OM-4T is the standard body for Olympus photomicrographic systems.
Clinical photomicrography is a field in which "instant" results and
image manipulation are highly desirable. Ergo...

There is no question that the OM system is one of the very best pro 35mm
systems. As to whether it has been superior to Nikon is debatable.

For example, Nikon produced several Polaroid backs, which no one else
has ever fully duplicated. They also had a 200mm macro lens with
built-in electronic ring flash, designed specifically for medical
photography. It was made for many years, and apparently sold well.

It's unlikely that any one system will ever have "everything you could
ever want." But Olympus and Nikon both come pretty close.

"The reputation of the F280 as a battery hog in Super FP mode is real
enough."

Of course! The flash is operating at manually at full output. You're not
receiving the benefit of automatic thyristor quenching.

"...although the 4 (unlike the 4T) is notorious for battery drain
problems."

Actually, I had battery drain problems and severe exposure problems with
my 4T. Olympus was utterly unable to fix them, and eventually had to
replace the body. The replacement has been working fine for several
years.