Re: [OM] Wireless releases - home brew?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wireless releases - home brew?
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Oct 1998 07:45:07 +1000
Many people wrote about wireless releases...

Here are two ideas nobody has mentioned yet:

1.  Infra-red.  Using a PLL frequency detector chip, a simple
        one-function infra-red remote is dead simple to build.  One of
        the "Forrest Mims" circuit notebooks (which I think are sold at
        Radio Slack in the USA) has an example circuit.   I don't
        recall the title, but I have the book at home...

    Obviously infra-red is inferior to radio in daylight, but it CAN
        be made to work, because there are cameras on the market that
        have IR remotes (heavy IR filters I suspect).

2.  An idea for those with no motor-winder:    Being impoverished[1], I
        don't own a winder (despite drooling over a $100 Winder 2
        sitting in the local pawnshop window).   I've been thinking of
        borrowing a trick from the timelapse cinecamera people:

        1.  Get a longish cable release
        2.  Build any of the remote control circuits already mentioned
        3.  Have the remote control circuit start a digital counter
                chip which drives a darlington-transistor chip.
        4.  The darlington-drivers are connected to the leads of a
                stepper motor salvaged from an old disk drive
        5.  The motor drives a cam which performs two actions
                a) at 180deg, it presses the cable release which is
                        clipped into position against the cam
                b) at 270deg, it contacts a switch which shuts down
                        the counter, stopping the cam ready
                        for next shot.
        6.  Obviously, this is one-shot, as you have no way
                to wind-on remotely.

        This could be done *way* cheaply using junk parts and
        a bit of skill.   The hack value is immense. :-)

Regards,
        Chris.

[1] Cashtration: n.  The sense of financial impotency felt by the
        newly mortaged.

--
| Christopher Biggs email:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | One of the founding membata,|
| Stallion Technologies, Queensland, Australia | Society for Creative Pluri. |