Re: [OM] Wireless releases - home brew?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wireless releases - home brew?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Ken Norton wrote:

> Anybody have any brilliant ideas for making wireless releases for our
> beloved OM's?  What I'm looking for is something that just plugs into the
> mini-plug of the winders.

  On a trade, I picked up a Polaroid wireless release that plugs right
into the Winder's mini-plug. I haven't a clue as to whether it was
modified or came that way from the factory. I believe it was designed for
the Spectra System.

> Ideally, this wireless release would be:
> 1.  small.  Prefer each componant (transmitter and receiver) to be the size
> of a watch.

   Um...the Polaroid thingie is like pack-o-cigs size for both transmitter
& receiver.

> 2.  fast.  Garage door openers, although useful, are too slow to trigger.
> (my experience).

  I may just have to pop batteries into that thing and try it.

> 3.  "programmable".  Ideally, I'd like 3 or 4 of them so I can control
> different cameras.

   I think this boosts us up to around $400-600

> 4.  convertable.  Usable with either mini-plug (winder) or x-sync (flash).
> 5.  semi-passive.  No battery drain.

  Geez, whaddaya want, perfection ?

> 6.  Cheep.  Total cost of $5-10 per unit.

   Haaaahaaaahaaaaa...

> 7.  20m normal range, 200m with auxilliary directional antenneas.

  How about wave interference camo ? Built-in GPS ? :-P~~~~~

  The way I see it...how expensive can the Polaroid unit be ? It's
ready-made, and I'll get around to testing it for speed and range sometime
soon (this is in southern time, mind you) and report back here...

                                       Remotely released,
                                        *= Doris Fang =*