Re: [OM] F280 Off Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 Off Camera
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 08:11:58 GMT
On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:40:57 EDT, ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >What I do fine strange with the 280 on the bounce grip is; if there are no
> >batteries in the 280 flash, it will not fire, nor will it charge up.  This
>is
> >not the case with the T32.  >BW
>Frank wrote;
> In the same spot where the T-32 has a 3-fold connector to the bounce
> grip, the F-280 has only an empty hole. So there is no possibility to
> get the bounce grip high voltage into the F-280.
> Frank van Lindert
> Utrecht NL. >>
>
>Hi Frank,
>Well, leave it to you to keep us straight.  I thought for a long time that the
>280 would not charge up from the bounce grip's C batteries because I did not
>see any increase or decrease in charge up time.  But, a few weeks ago someone
>said he used the 280 on his bounce grip.  So, I thought I was mistaken and
>would wait until I had some dead AA's on hand to check it out.  So, as usual
>you have saved us some time.
>The more I think about it.  This really P***s's me off.  The reputation of the
>280 as a battery hog in Super FP mode is real enough.  I think OLY could have
>at least added the "3-fold" plugs to allow the use of the bounce grip's
>battery power to reduce charge up time and extend battery life as it does with
>the T32.
>Anyway, thanks again for the bad news!
>One more OLY BUBBLE BUSTED!!!!!
>BW

The high voltage needed by the T-series flashes is different than the
one generated inside the F-280. Therefore the F-280 cannot work from
the BG-II power source, although the empty hole where the 3-pin plug
should have been is only there for use on the grip (still giving you
bounce capacity).
Naturally you could always connect another 6 volt power source to the
battery compartment of the F-280. E.g. Quantum makes special batteries
(rechargeable lead gel cells) with adapters that fit into the battery
compartments of different brand flashguns. The one which fits into the
T-32 is also suited for the F-280.
Now I come to think of it, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a
connection between the (loaded) battery compartment of the BG-II and
the (empty!) one of the F-280. Maybe that would help...

Frank van Lidnert.