Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 13:49:11 BST
>Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 18:44:28 -0700
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: warm beer, and bikes

>>>Sorry, this is nothing but blind prejudice.  Japanese bikes are engineered
>>>to a level not known on any other - British, Italian or American.
>>>Disposable is the last word I'd use.  Try asking dealers about reliability,
>>>warranty recalls etc, you may be suprised.  Check despatch riders'
>>>workhorses too.
>>>
>>While I haven't owned a motorcycle in a few years, I seem to recall this
>>was far from prejudice. Japanese motorcycles at the time were expected to
>>last no more than 30,000 miles. I owned a 350 Honda, then a Kawasaki KZ650,
>>and later a Honda Sabre.
>>
>>You may be confusing quality of assembly with longevity. I think Brad made
>>the point that you see very few older Japanese bikes around, and he's quite
>>right. Think of all the early Japanese superbikes; when was the last time
>>you saw one on the road? The Kawasaki Z1, Honda 750's, etc., even Gold
>>Wings. Yet I see 30 year old Harleys, BMWs, and yes, even Triumphs and BSAs
>>on the road every day.
>>
>>Don't think I don't love Japanese bikes; I would never buy a Harley,
>>because I don't like the style. Japanese bikes are the epitome of screaming
>>race machines, and to me, that's what riding is about. But others ride for
>>different reasons.
>>
>>Japanese bikes used to be affordable ways to have a good time if you
>>couldn't afford something of better quality. Sorta like Datsun 240Zs
>>(they're all rusted out now).
>>

>>Regards,
>>

>>Denton Taylor
>

>Do you really think that you are seeing old American and British bikes that
>have lasted 30 years? They have been restored  with newly manufactured
>parts, because it is the current  fashion. Many of them do not have an
>original part. It does not have anything to do with quality.
>
>Porsches and Alfas rust too. There are apparently enough of those 240Zs
>left for Nissan to make a business of buying them up, restoring them and
>selling them for quite a bit of change.
>
>Winsor
>
>Winsor Crosby
>Long Beach, California
>mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ahem, cough cough, splutter

Winsor,

A bit of a broad sweeping generalisation.  Most of the older British
motorcycles are still around because they were vastly overengineered ie
built to exceed their specifications rather than the built in obsolescence
of most modern consumer durables.

Look at all the plastic on an OM4T compared to an OM1 or 2.  Take as an
example the wind on bearings.  If John H is reading this thread he will
tell you about plastic vs metal bearing surfaces etc.

As for nostalgia, I rode my old Nortons daily for years until about a year
ago.  Work on them was restricted to oil changes, tyre changes and spark
plugs.  Oh yes, you also had to put gas in the tanks......

There is an old OM2N in my bag which is used several times a week - it had
a CLA when purchased about five years ago as the meter was off and
sticky..... but it was built well with quality components and responded to
a service.

Compare the OM4 to a modern plastic camera - guess which one will last the
longest with its original parts.....

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com