[OM] Re: Cost of goods, no OM content

Subject: [OM] Re: Cost of goods, no OM content
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 09:12:38 +0000
Charlie,

>Don't throw your bike in the bush!

er, what does this mean, exactly?

>Is it the importers who create unreal prices or the unions and the
>tax man?

In the case of cars & motorcycles it is the importers (who admit it) who set
a price "which the market can take".  Literally translated, they will charge
what they think we will put up with.  This is quite blatant, and I guess is
the same for other goods.  I don't think the unions get a look in, and tax
isn't so complicated here - everything gets hit by VAT, domestic or
imported.  AFAIK we have no trade barriers or protective pricing now, though
there is a small import duty on goods purchaed outside the European Common
Market.

Margaret Thatcher, most overrated and bigoted British PM for years, killed
off domestic manufacturing so there's no point in having trade barriers.
Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Simon.