Re: [OM] shift/tilt, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] shift/tilt, anyone?
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:54:23 GMT
On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:27:31 -0700, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>While concurring in general with the concensus that the Olympus macro
>system is outstanding, am I alone in wanting tilt and shift capabilities?
>
>To that end, I've been thinking about performing major surgery on an OM
>bellows. I would cut the front and back mounting plates off the focus rail
>guides, drill and tap mounting holes in them and the rail guides, and
>fabricate a new piece that would attach the two at right angles to their
>original orientation.

Hello Jan.

I have thought about solutions like this, and finally decided not to
go this way. The frontal standard/mounting plate of the bellows is
hollow, as it contains the mechanism which connects the cable release
to the lens aperture. I have opened this frontal standard several
times for CLA purposes.
In some special situations I have been able to use two bellows rails,
one with the frontal standard and the other with the rear standard
attached, and together allowing for tilt and shift in all directions.
Of course you have to be very careful because there is no solid
connection between the two rails - I used two small tripods here.
Maybe a good connecting piece for two rails would be easier to make
than converting the standards, but I am reluctant to start this
because of the big weight of all parts involved, likely to cause a lot
of mechanical stress and strain. I have even thought of cutting a
bellows rail in two, but my technical facilities are too poor...

>If I make the new pieces with a slot for the mounting plate screw, this
>should give me quite a bit of flexibility in two dimensions. Any thoughts?
>Any "that won't work because..." stories to tell? Is the areal coverage of
>the OM macro lenses too small for tilt/shift work?

I think shifting and tilting will be limited to a few
millimeters/degrees indeed, depending on the lens used.

>I think I'll try to cobble up some tilt/shift shots on the light bench
>using clamps to hold the bellows mounting plates without the focusing rail
>before I get close to the metal shop... :-)

Makes sense indeed.

>Anyone have a beat-up, but functional bellows they would sell cheap for
>such a project? Anyone like this idea who has TWO bellows, and would give
>me one in exchange for the labor doing such a conversion on the second one?

If you would think the idea I described (with two rails per bellows)
feasible and would try to go that way, I would certainly be interested
in providing two extra bellows rails to convert our 'main' bellows
into two shift and tilt sets - one for both of us. I have several
'spare' bellows...

>: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
>: +1.503.635.3229

Another easier way to go might be using a commercially available shift
and tilt bellows set for any mount, and replacing (or probably partly
replacing and converting) the mounts with our OM bellows ones.

Please keep me informed on this!

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.