Re: [OM] shift/tilt, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] shift/tilt, anyone?
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:41:48 EDT
Hi Jan,
I think your idea is good.  I know in some old OLY literature, OLY shows a
swing bellows.
Has anyone ever seen one of these?
About 3 years ago I bought a Nikon PB4 (I think ?) which has swing and the
seller was going to mount an adapter for me so I could use my Oly body and
lens.  I even sent him a manual 7mm tube to use on the front.  He said he
already had the back (body) converted.  Anyway, after a year and no bellows, I
finally gave up and ask for my $$'s back, $380.00 if I remember correctly.
So, I never did get the Nikon/OLY conversion.  Shortly after I got my $$'s he
went out of business.
Good luck with your project.  Let me know how it works.
BW

 jans@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< While concurring in general with the concensus that the Olympus macro
 system is outstanding, am I alone in wanting tilt and shift capabilities?

 To that end, I've been thinking about performing major surgery on an OM
 bellows. I would cut the front and back mounting plates off the focus rail
 guides, drill and tap mounting holes in them and the rail guides, and
 fabricate a new piece that would attach the two at right angles to their
 original orientation.

 If I make the new pieces with a slot for the mounting plate screw, this
 should give me quite a bit of flexibility in two dimensions. Any thoughts?
 Any "that won't work because..." stories to tell? Is the areal coverage of
 the OM macro lenses too small for tilt/shift work?

 I think I'll try to cobble up some tilt/shift shots on the light bench
 using clamps to hold the bellows mounting plates without the focusing rail
 before I get close to the metal shop... :-)

 Anyone have a beat-up, but functional bellows they would sell cheap for
 such a project? Anyone like this idea who has TWO bellows, and would give
 me one in exchange for the labor doing such a conversion on the second one?

 : Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> >>