Re: [OM] Oly OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:50:16 +0200
Mark Hammons wrote:

> Then came the R series -- R3, R4, R5, RE, R5, R6, R6.2, R7, which, I
> understand were manufactured in part by Minolta.

The R3 was build in collaboration with Minolta, it was an improved
Minolta design (spotmetering), but I haven´t heard of an "R made in
Japan". The other R where quite different designs made in Leitz own
productions facilities (I guess it was in Portugal, the R6 and later
should be "made in Germany again").

This "Leica made in Japan" rumor is mostly due to the "baby M Leica" the
CL and Minolta CLE a "budget" range finder camera. The funy thing is,
that some of there lenses marked "Minolta Rokkor" where made by Leitz in
Wetzlar.

The uninformed non Leica user might not have noticed, that "the German
glass" of Leica lenses is also made in Canada (many M and some R
lenses). Hello Shawn!

Regards

Richard