Re: [OM] Oly OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:24:07 -0500

>I think Leica could sustain a good business just on collectors.  That is
>probably why they keep coming up with these cameras and lenses.  Collectors
>must have everything.
>I remember this from the days when my uncle worked at willoubys  (sp?) in
>NYC. mid 70's.  He had a book of customers from around the country that
>bought it all.
>They were not photographers and probably never touched the stuff.

It is true that a lot of people are Leica collectors but MOST at least use
some of the cameras.  Take into account that some rare Leicas are
worth upward of $50,000.  I doubt many collectors would photograph
with a 250GG "Reporter" with motor drive ( a rare 250 exposure camera
from the 1930s that goes for about $50,000 in EXC condition ) on a very
regular basis!

>I hear a lot about Leica on this list.  Do they have a system such as OM?
>
>Charlie Loeven

Yes Leica does have an SLR system.  They started out with the
LeicaFlex, LeicaFlex SL (selective light) and Leicaflex SL2.  They were
metal bodied models built by Leica and were of the "Classic" SLR
era -- although not quite as small as the OMs.

Then came the R series -- R3, R4, R5, RE, R5, R6, R6.2, R7, which, I
understand were manufactured in part by Minolta. I think in general most
"collectors" don't go for these and they were kind of considred to be
:"so-so" bodies, but hey, they used the Leitz R lenses!!

Then, last year the R8 was introduced.  It is made by Leitz and has a
very comprehensive WELL THOUGHT OUT set of features,  essentially
3 metering modes and 4 exposure modes, which may (logically) be used
in any combination.  It has been called the "Hunchback of Solms" because
of its curved top but has turned out to be a very well-thought out ergonomic
design.  Solms, Germany is where Leica Camera is now headquartered.

One thing in common with all Leica SLR's -- they have stuck with Manual
Focus -- Just like Oly ('cept for the 77).  I truly feel that Olympus is the
most
"Leica - Like" Japanese camera manufacturer -- focusing (no pun) primarily
on Superb optics and a well-thought out camera body while avoiding
trendy bells and whistles.  So for me, having the OM as my SLR system
and the Leica Screw mount as my RF system is an ideal combination!

Lastly, I must admit that Leica does milk the fact that their cameras are
collectable, as they release several special edition versions of their
cameras -- usally a special version of the M6 for rather strange events --
which then become instant collectables.  ( I am NOT one of those
kind of Leica collectors, BTW )

Leica and Olympus OM -- I love the both equally!  ;-)

Mark Hammons