Re: [OM] theoretical lens resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] theoretical lens resolution
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:02:58 -0700
Joseph is correct that the table does not make sense, as long as film
resolution is fixed.  Furthermore, the conclusion is correct that the system
resolution numbers will decrease as the lens is stopped down.

However, film resolution is not fixed.  It too varies with lens aperture,
and inversely with lens resolution.  The Gaussian error accumulation  -
1/R = 1/Rf + 1/Rl    -   reasonably approximates this also, provided the
values for film resolution increase and the values for lens resolution
decrease through the lens' aperture range.  My apology for not being more
clear in my earlier post.

John P

Joseph Albert <jalbert@xxxxxxx> remarked: