Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:13:49 -0500
On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 08:16:36AM -0700, Shawn Wright wrote:
> NO readout??!! The review I just read rated the viewfinder readout
> as "excellent" (compared with EOS 620/650, Maxxum 9000, N*k*n
> 2020), but they don't give details. I would have expected at least
> the shutter speed.

If you have a manual focus lens on it, you get no readout at all. The
readout area in the viewfinder is completely blacked out.

Yes, the readout is nice - but only if you have an AF lens in place. You
get, from top to bottom, a red/green LED that indicates focus OK or not,
readout of shutter speed from 2" (two seconds) to 1000 in 1/2 stop steps or
Lo if the shutter speed is longer than 2 seconds, an aperture readout in 1/2
stop steps, and annunciators for flash ready/OK, SP flash (whatever that is
- F280 only), and ...drat, can't remember the third. It's well lit and easy
to read.

> Have you tried manual focussing with a standard lens?

I've tried a 50/1.4 Zuiko on it, and it's okkay if you can focus well with
nothing but a plain matte screen.

Three comments I forgot to add last time: 1) The camera is nice and quiet -
even more so than an OM-2 with winder. Of course, you can turn an OM winder
*off*... 2) It *feels* bigger than a manual focus body. Part of this is the
bulk of the flash grip (they also have a non-flash grip that appears
smaller, but I haven't seen one), but part is the camera itself. I can't
quite put my finger on it. 3) You *must* use DX-coded film. If not, the
camera assumes ASA 100 and can't be overridden.