[OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?

Subject: [OM] OM77 a decent P&S / backup body?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:46:12 -0800
I picked up a box full of old Photo Life and Outdoor Photo mags at the show
last weekend, so I've been catching up on all the Oly ads I missed when I was
at University...

(a 1987 outdoor photo had a two page opening cover spread on the OM system,
showing OM-4T, OM-2s, OM-G, OM-PC and OM-77, along with the new f/2 macros
(fastest in the world...)

Anyway, another mag had a review on the OM-77, which gave it fairly decent
marks. This got me thinking:

1. If the AF is decent, and the built in flash is ok for snapshots, would this
make a suitable P&S candidate for my wife?

2. I saw a few OM AF lenses very cheap at the show, mainly because they have
no manual focus control, so I could presumably get an OM-77 with lens fairly
cheap.

3. Is the OM-77 suitable for an occasional backup body to my 4T, with manual
focus lenses? ie: how is the metering, manual control, etc.

4. Am I nuts to even consider this? (it *seems* logical...)

Any OM-77 owners who can comment out there?