[OM] Contax 645

Subject: [OM] Contax 645
From: Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Denton et al.

I agree, the new Contax MF is also build for rapid point and shoot
photography.  The beauty is you won't have to switch systems if you want
to do the "slow, high resolution stuff" anymore, because you can
also choose to focus manually and have mirror lock-up etc.
I think, the Contax 645 will have to be be priced somewhat reasonable
because of the competition with Pentax and Mamyia.  I don't expect Rollei
or Hasselblad prices, except for some of the lenses.

To get the curve to  s o m e  Olympus content: I think Olympus should
definitely stay out of MF.  A digital body with Zuiko mount would be
great. A carefully designed successor to the OM4ti likewise.  Perhaps they
are with the Leica philosophy of fewer models but  significant
improvements (I admit, the Leica R3 was not a great step forward from its
solid predecessor Leicaflex SL2; the R8 certainly is way beyond the R7
and it took them long enough).

Jan