Re: [OM] Oly OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:44:11 -0700
>Denton Taylor wrote:
>
>> I think it's more likely that Olympus decided to create a first-class
>> camera system to fully compete with Nikon F2 and Canon F1. The Oly system
>> would have the depth of both, but would be considerably smaller and
>> lighter, which should appeal to just about every kind of pro. At some point
>> though Oly realized they were not going to join the ranks of C&N, and, with
>> amateur SLR sales also plunging, threw in the towel.
>
>If so, Olympus executives have an tremendous amount of patience. From
>the the introducing of the OM-1 1972 to 1987 when the OM-4Ti was
>released, 15 years. Minolta had less patience, after there initial 9000
>model didn´t take the pro, high end photography market in storm, they
>never again tried to position themself in this market share (same with
>XM in MD days) and they did well and prospered.
>I personaly doubt, that an company can live on pro photographers, it may
>even an loss making prestige market.
>Olympus surely targeted differnt markets, sientific photography,
>extension to there microscopical, medical products. They catered for the
>price sensitive market with there OM-10 etc. and I´m pretty sure this
>was very profitable.
>The single digit OM should please the serious, quality loving, amateur
>too and I´m sure this is the market every manufactor is heading with
>there "pro" models.
>
>Regards
>
>Richard

Not only patient, but perhaps respectful. Mr. Maitani still seems to be
around and speaking for the company and the OM has certainly been marketed
as his creation. Might it not cause some discomfort to replace the OM
system when he may not be able to lead that new project himself.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx