Re: [OM] Oly OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:17:28 -0400
Denton, you wrote:

> I think it's more likely that Olympus decided to create a first-class
> camera system to fully compete with Nikon F2 and Canon F1. The Oly system
> would have the depth of both, but would be considerably smaller and lighter,
> which should appeal to just about every kind of pro.

It appeals to me, and every other Oly fan. . . .but my gut feeling is
that compactness is secondary these days for most working pros.  There
are even--a few--times for me where an OM body is just too small.
Adding a winder can make for a better fit, especially with a big lens.
And pro lenses have gotten bigger over the years.  Also the size of
one's hands can dertermine what kind of camera feels comfortable.  If I
had really big hands I might get cramps with an OM, but an EOS-1n with
power pack might fit nicely.

I think the OM design is a good reflection of the Japanese aesthetic
sense of the small, precious package.  This is a theme that runs
throughout Japanese culture, but not so strongly among Westerners.
Americans in particular are fond of all things big and clunky.  (Search
that travel in the wild (small size and weight) and those used for macro
work.  These are the remaining Olympus pro niches.  I hope the draw of
OM is still strong enough among this group that the system will enjoy a
long twilight.

Morgan Sparks