Re: [OM] Victoria Camera Show results

Subject: Re: [OM] Victoria Camera Show results
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:52:14 -0700
>My experience with 2 California camera shows are that the prices (by dealers)
>are
>lower than Shutterbug but higher than Ebay closing prices.
>
>An OM1 with 50mm might be $200 to $250 in Shutterbug, $150-175 at a camera
>show, (I saw one for $130 banged up) and $120- 150 on Ebay.
>
>At the camera shows, all the sales are by dealers who know what the stuff is
>worth (usually) , so you will not find extraordinary good deals, like at pawn
>shops or garage sales,  and you cannot get lucky like on Ebay (maybe OM1 is
>not bidding that week or there is an Ebay outage when the item closes
>auction.)

I don't go that often, but the prices at the one in Buena Park are
generally outrageous. A few months ago I saw a 35-70/3.6 Zuiko zoom which
was difficult to examine due to the poor lighting in the second room. He
wanted $350 and was not willing to bargain. Another time I asked the price
on an F280 flash and I offered less expecting him to counter or say sorry
that is the price when the flash was snatched out of my hand and he turned
his back on me.  I have looked at fairly beat up Oly winder 2s with tags on
them with prices higher than B&H new prices. But usually there is not much
Oly stuff there when I go.

I did get a good buy there once on a 50/3.5 and a fair buy on an OM-1n.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx