Re: [OM] Macro Flash Comparison Up

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Flash Comparison Up
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:53:54 -0700
>>Outstanding comparisons for the flash. Makes me want to run out and get a T8.
>>
>>About your comment on polarization, I didn't think that reflections from
>>metal objects get polarized at all. That is why metal reflections remain
>>prominent in polarized shots even when the other reflections, say from
>>glass or water, have been eliminated.
>>

>I'm curious then as to why the machining marks (banding) in the shot with
>the T10 are so pronounced. Any ideas?
-snip

>Regards,
>

>Denton Taylor

Just a guess, but a lot of that kind of machining is a very hard cutting
tool being moved across the metal face in different ways. I think in this
type the tool was probably moved back and forth across the face while the
clamped metal face probably "advanced" after each pass. There may have been
two tools, one for each direction. The banding is probably the difference
in reflectivity  of the two surface angles between the cuts, or something
like that. In some periods milling marks were a purposeful decoration.
Certainly those marks on a watch were a sign of a superior watch - no
cheap, flimsy stamped-out sheet metal mounting plates on a precision
railroad watch.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California