Re: [OM]After OM, what?

Subject: Re: [OM]After OM, what?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:51:55 EDT
Hi Windsor:

> I am not sure when Hasselblad "appeared" as a well known, desirable camera.
>  It had to be late in his [Ansel Adams'] career - in the fifties, maybe?

The 1600F was introduced autumn, 1948.  Ansel got his first one, gratis,
immediately following a 1950 meeting with Viktor Hasselblad.  Ansel found the
first model to have problems with the mirror falling out if not held the ways
the engineers had intended it to be held.  The 1000F followed in 1952 and
Ansel used Hasselblads more than anything, with his view camera shots set up
by assistants and more often than not used to shot Polaroid film.  It was
during this time that he was getting anything he wanted from the Hasselblad
(the company) and Polaroid.

FWIW, Ansel used a Leica exclusively after age 80.  By that time anything
larger was too big for him to handle.  For those who would say he would have
liked a OM-4, well, we will never know, since he died in 1984 after a period
of ill health in which he didn't take any photographs.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV