Re: [OM]After OM, what?

Subject: Re: [OM]After OM, what?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:22:29 -0700
On 20 Sep 98, at 23:08, GARYINLA@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Before switching formats, one could consider getting optimal quality from
> 35mm.
> This would mean films like Fuji Velvia or Kodachrome 25 (if still available)
> and black and white films like Agfa 25, Ilford 50, and possibly higher ASA
> films like Tmax100, all developed in a developer to minimize grain (ie Tmax
> film in Xtol or Tmax developer or Microphen, other films in Xtol, Acufine,
> Microphen, or whatever else you find works well.)
>
> I have seen blow ups of Fuji Velvia to 11x14 and the grain is hard to see.
> Kodak Tmax100 developed in Tmax developer is supposed to be very fine grain.

I just finished printing an 11x14 (probably closer to 14x21"
enlargement due to cropping) from Ilford PanF pushed one stop
(ISO 100) and developed in Microphen. Grain is just *barely*
perceptable upon close inspection of the print. In the same
session, I also printed an 11x14 from FP4+ developed in Ilfotec HC -
 by comparison, grain size is *very* evident, but sharpness is still
good. I would not recommend Ilfotec HC, as it seems to
exaggerate grain, but it just happens to be "on tap" at the school
lab. I plan to go back to Microphen and ID-11 (D-76).
Also, developers like Microdol-X and Perceptol can eliminate grain
almost completely, at the expense of some sharpness, if zero
grain is important. Personally, I find that ID-11 yields effectively
invisible grain at 11x14 print size when viewed at a normal distance.

Since grain *can* be eliminated as a factor with certain film
choices, the issue is really sharpness, and I would venture to say
that if you're not getting sharpness at 11x14 with your Zuikos, then
don't blame the equipment! (except maybe a lousy tripod). Don't
take this wrong - what I mean is that although only a select few of
my shots look really sharp at 11x14, I have proven the gear can
produce the results I want. Now *I* just need to learn how to
(consistently) produce as well as the gear...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)