Re: [OM]After OM, what?

Subject: Re: [OM]After OM, what?
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:38:50 +0000
GARYINLA wrote:

>Regarding Kodak TmaxCN (which is 400 ASA), I have seen 8X10 blow ups and I
>cannot see any grain at all.   TmaxCN apparently has extremely very fine
>grain.
>I know pros  who are using this film for portraits because of the extremely
>fine grain.
>
>If you are using these films I question if there is any noticeable benefit to
>going to 6x6 or 6x7 for prints 11 x 14, or even 16x20  or less.

I have to disagree.  I have a Yashica TLR, and there is a definite
improvement in tonality, even at 10x8".  I'm not saying the 35mm prints
aren't sharp, but it's down to the degree of magnification.  If you blow up
35mm to 10X8" you're magnifying it over 8 times;  do the same with 6x7 and
it's 4.5 times.  No contest.  Of course, there are other factors in the real
world, and there's no harm in trying to get the best from what you already
have.  Agfa APX25 or Ilford PanF are about as good as you can get;  the
T400CN/XP2 films which use colour negative processing do have fine grain (on
a par with 100asa) but suffer in outright sharpness.  This is apparently
because they are made up of dye clouds, not silver particles.  These are
more diffuse than silver grains, so making it appear less grainy, but also
marginally less sharp.

Simon E.