[OM] OM-2s meter question...

Subject: [OM] OM-2s meter question...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:49:41 -0800
(Sorry if this is duplicated, it did not show up on the list)...

I just purchased an OM-2s that seems to have something peculiar going on
with the meter.  I think.  I really could use some input from people who
have used the OM-2s, and I did not get a manual with it.  I am VERY new to
photography, but I have used my OM-1n successfuly - I can use the meter to
take good pictures.

In any case, I beleive the meter, and the resulting shutter speed are not
in agreement with each other.  For an example, I set the camera to ISO/ASA
100, then put my f/1.8 50mm lense on it.  With it in 'AUTO' mode, I pointed
to a wall that is pretty uniformly lit, but certainly would be considered
dark for 100 film.  The meter reads 1/125 which seems wrong, but when I
take the picture, the shutter seems to stay open for a seconds or so -
which seems to be correct given the lighting.  The dissagreement seems to
be consistant.  When I move to a darker wall, the meter does go down, but
then the shutter stays open longer.

Today, I actually took a test roll of 100 film, outside, and the meter was
trying to tell me that I was over-exposed with settings that seemed like
they should have been ok.  I ended up stoping the lenses down to get the
meter from bitching to me - to f/11 or f/16!  This SEEMED wrong compared to
what I would normally do for my OM-1n.  The resulting pictures turned out
fine though.  My only guess is that the exposure time was longer than what
was metered, but correct given that I stopped the lense down.

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

Regards,
Dan Medley