Re: [OM] Re: new OM model

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: new OM model
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 06:57:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> Some people are so fascinated and absorbed by the technology of today
> that they think everything should be digital or computerized, and if it's
> not they think it's old fashioned.

  Last year there was a 12 0ncrease in film sales. As pointed out in
the current issue of Photo Techniques: "The average point & shoot camera
costs about $100, for a camera that will be kept for an average of five
years. So, for a capital investment of $20 per year, film costs that run
$30-60 a year, and processing costs of maybe $50-$80, the consumer gets
two copies each of 180 4x6 prints [the average consumer shoots 3-7
rolls/yr.]."
   This means that for $125/yr, the consumer gets 360 prints, at a cost of
$.35 ea. including hardware! Digital isn't going there yet --- maybe
never.   ******************
  For that $125/yr., and maybe 1hr of driving back & forth to the
1hr. minilab, the consumer gets prints they can insert in an album and
show immediately. Those prints (if they use the new Fuji Crystal process)
will have a lifespan of over 50 years. The digital photographer would have
to slave long hours to process and print out those 360 prints, and their
lifespan is relatively short. Let's not even take into consideration
the costs of obsolescence for digital.
  Chemical based imaging is going to be around for some time, but there
is no doubt that for many photographers we are in a period
of hybridization between digital & conventional imaging...

                                    *= Doris Fang =*