Re: [OM] Re: new OM model

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: new OM model
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:36:49 -0700
Ingemar, I agree that digital won't be dominant inthe next few years, but
I'd be willing to wager it won't be a novelty either.  Film (e.g.
"classical" in the new OM speak) will continue to make up the majority of
sales but the pendulum is clearly moving digital's way.  I have done whole
shoots with a low end digital camera for flyers and web page reproduction
for our local community theatre troupe. So now you know one.   Its real
alright.

A major holdback to digital cameras is not the cameras themselves, or even
the technology.  People don't much care if their picture is a negative, a
bit pattern or an original print.  Most consumers care that they get their
photos back fast, they all "come out", and are as inexpensive as possible.
The holdbacks to digital's widespread use are the need for a computer and
software to process the images and the time it takes to get "hard copy".
Printing images from a digital camera is a very time consuming and tedious
process.  With my present setup, each 4x6 inch size print takes about 2.5
minutes to print.  For the equivalent of 36 exposures, that is an hour and a
half of pure print time.  Add to that the download time of all the images,
plus any manipluation (crop, color/contrast adjust, etc.) and you can see
its pretty easy to fritter away the better part of an evening printing a set
of pictures.  I know of no 1-hour digital processing service.  Getting
passed that multi-thousand dollar expense for the computer and software is a
major obstacle to "domination".  Getting passed the time needed to print the
images is the other part.  Both will happen - sooner rather than later.

As much as I enjoy the capabilities of digital photography and realize its
acceptance as a widespread medium is coming fast, I have no worries that
I'll still be loading 35mm film into my trusty old OM's for a long time to
come.  :-)

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.