[OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:26:30 -0400
Quoth Red Rover:

"I've read of reciprocity failure, where film, when taken at long
exposures, usually requires much more exposure then a meter calls for. I've
learned that my Om2s can take auto exposed pictures at lengths of up to 2
minutes, but wouldn't this be an incorrect exposure due to reciprocity?
Should I see how long the camera takes the picture and then multiply this
time for the specific film I'm using for the next shot? Thanks."

I'm an astrophotographer and reciprocity failure is a big part of my life --
but I don't normally use exposure meters on the stars :)

Newer films have much less reciprocity failure than older films.  For
example, T400 CN has next to none, and Elite Chrome 200 has less than any
other color film I've tried.

My impression is that the OM-2S includes some reciprocity correction, but I
haven't tried to measure it.  In any case, if you need an exposure of more
than a few seconds, you probably aren't aiming for precise exposure anyway.
With an OM-2S you will get *pictures*, which is a lot more than you can say
for my new N*k*n N70, which seems to feel that anything longer than about 1
second is "LO"!

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><