Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:06:02 -0700
On 4 Sep 98, at 9:26, Michael A. Covington wrote:

> My impression is that the OM-2S includes some reciprocity correction, but I
> haven't tried to measure it.  In any case, if you need an exposure of more
> than a few seconds, you probably aren't aiming for precise exposure anyway.
> With an OM-2S you will get *pictures*, which is a lot more than you can say
> for my new N*k*n N70, which seems to feel that anything longer than about 1
> second is "LO"!

I had the opportunity to test low light shots on my 4T this weekend,
while camping in a remote area of the West Coast. Because it was
nearly a full moon, the stars weren't too impressive, but the
moonlight was *amazing*, as it lit up several mountainsides
surrounding the converging river valleys where we were camped. I
setup the camera with a 50/1.8, dialed in +2/3 (Fuji Reala) and
shot on self timer, then walked back to the camp, while we waited
for the shutter to close. Exposures were around a minute, wide
open, and my friend was suitable impressed, as he tried to figure
out if his N*k*n F90X had a button to do this...

On a slightly related note, I printed a shot taken last weekend in
total darkness, except for light peeking through the stone doorway
of an old lodge - I shot with the 50/1.8 wide open, and the
sharpness at 8x12 print size is *very* impressive.

In both these past weekends, I was amused at my friend with his
F90X and two slow, heavy zooms - his bag weighs about the same
as mine - with an OM-4T, OM-10, 35,50,85,135 Zuikos, ext. tube,
T20 flash, and 12 rolls of film. The really ironic thing is that he is
trying to learn better technique, having just started recently, so he
uses manual focus, manual exposure! :-)

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright