Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:40:36 -0800
On  8 Sep 98 at 20:33, Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> > On a slightly related note, I printed a shot taken last weekend in
> > total darkness, except for light peeking through the stone doorway
> > of an old lodge - I shot with the 50/1.8 wide open, and the
> > sharpness at 8x12 print size is *very* impressive.
>
> Shawn, put all of them, especially "the picture", on your site so we can see
> them
> (it)!
I will try - I'm still months behind on scanning pics, and I'm starting to get
back into the darkroom again, which *really* eats away the time, as I often
take several hours getting a print the way I want it.

> > In both these past weekends, I was amused at my friend with his
> > F90X and two slow, heavy zooms - his bag weighs about the same
> > as mine - with an OM-4T, OM-10, 35,50,85,135 Zuikos, ext. tube,
> > T20 flash, and 12 rolls of film. The really ironic thing is that he is
> > trying to learn better technique, having just started recently, so he
> > uses manual focus, manual exposure! :-)
>
> Aha! Now you have got *the* chance of your life! Convert him into the
> OM-world!!
Maybe in a little while... He just returned from 3 years in Japan, but it makes
me cringe thinking what he could have brought back for the same $$ in Oly gear.
And after a weekend shooting the same subjects, I must say I'm not too
impressed with his N*k*n lenses... Many shots taken with my old SC 135/3.5 and
35/2.8s seemed to have far more punch than similar shots taken with his zooms,
but granted he was shooting TMAX 400CN, while I used FP4+. But I did notice a
lot of flare in several backlit shots on his zooms, where my 20 year old SC
lenses did much better. This really surprised me, but maybe I'm just more aware
of flare when I'm shooting and know what to watch for.

> I have tried to convert some dead-heads without success. (Must have auto
> stuff,
> not old and unmodern. Sometimes I wonder if it's still possible to get a
> picture
> without the new technology. I think someone is playing with me as I every now
> end
> then actually make it without auto... Oh my, how can that be!?)
> Your friend will not be disappointed, we *know*, don't we? ;-)
Yeah, it's really kind of strange - I'm the technogeek who took all
math/sciences, yet use OMs and drive a diesel (the auto equivalent to an OM-1,
IMHO), and he's the arts type who hated math/sciences, yet he's fascinated by
all the buttons on his N*k*n... go figure...  ;-)