Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 20:59:41 -0700
I have found the 1.4x convertor to be the best optical aide I own.  A nice
boost in focal length that costs a stop and no more.  I can not see any
image degradation.  Highly recommended - its worth every penny.

For motor sport, unless you can get very priviliged positions, you will
always want for more focal length.  Get all the lens you can.  Lens speed is
vital.  You can get good photos under bright conditions with f/5-ish lenses,
but your options go away fast when the cloud cover arrives.  High speed
glass also allows you a far wider choice of films.  I would sooner make a
compromise in lens maker than lens speed, evidenced by the fact I use a
300mm f/2.8 Tokina AT-X, which I like very much.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Richard Dale <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> pondered: