Re: [OM] Grey market in Tel Aviv?

Subject: Re: [OM] Grey market in Tel Aviv?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:03:49 -0800
Marko Vrabec wrote:

>It was mentioned several times on this list that Tel Aviv is a source of
>grey-market OM items and consequently also a place where NY shops get
>most of their stuff from.

This is a persistent urban legend that was repeated here once or twice,
but each time I made an attempt to pin down its origin(s), nothing of
substance came out of it.  Moreover, on my last trip to Israel (in
Spring 1998), I inquired about it with several big photogear dealers.
Invariably, the idea was met with utter disbelief, and was denied by
anyone in the industry as lacking any business sense, or common sense.
Nor have I seen any U.S.-bound photo merchandise in the local stores.

Indeed, shipping ANYTHING from Japan/Southeast Asia to North America
through Israel is economically non-viable.  No offense, but unless
someone can explain what economic mechanism is responsible for cheaper
Japanese-made grey market products that involves NYC camera stores and
Israel, I'll have to treat it as pure bunk.  Note that the conspiracy
theories of Jewish world domination are getting really old.  Besides,
there are very few Jews in Japan (uhm, any credence to the rumor that
Maitani is/might be Jewish? :-)).

I regret sounding so harsh on the subject.  However, a week spent
in fly-over country (aka as Middle America), ruthlessly exposed to
Radio Free America, where one gets to listen to incredulous theorizing
that Janet Reno is really Jewish (isn't that a hoot?), as well as to
"serious" discussions on how and why Jews, such a tiny minority, have
become so prominent (talent and hard work are no excuse; the only
"credible" explanation: satanic/diabolical forces at play) -- has had
its impact on me.

P.S. Janet Reno is the U.S. Attorney General.

Winsor Crosby wrote:

>With the current economic troubles in Asia, you are probably getting
>Japanese bound Oly merchandise on the gray market now.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence, esp. wrt OLY goodies.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx