Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 10:45:10 -0400 (EDT)

> In a message dated 8/6/98 6:58:38 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<Hello:
> I just purchased a OM-PC as a replacement for my OM-40 (OM-G).
> I understand the functionality until I get to the new features.
> As I understand it; ESP provides an alternative means of reading the light
> in all modes.

  I have a booklet on the PC (have misplaced my manual!) # C400E-785D, in
which they say: "ESP is a fully computerized system designed to obtain,
and use, considerably more exposure information than the normal metering
systems. The difference is as stunning as adding a third dimension to
a 2-dimensional drawing!" In reality, it is a 2-field early Matrix form
of metering, basically measuring the central area against the outer,
weighing subject/background EVs. In practice, it works amazingly well
(though I do not advise anyone relying on it solely for a crucial shot),
as an automatic mode.
  Under the OTF programs, the booklet says it uses "centerweighed"
averaged exposure reading (I have a feeling it is using the central
part of the matrix metering).

> Automatic mode is aperture preferred as in the OM-40.
> What is Program mode?  And how does it work?

  Program mode means the camera picks both aperture & shutter speed. The
program can be biased because it will only go to the minimum aperture
selected. So if you are under sunny conditions (with ISO 100), and you
leave your lens at f/16, the program will probably pick f/8 @ 1/500th
(the program graph is included in this booklet). But, you could shift
it by setting the lens to f/5.6, causing the speed parameter to shift
to 1/1000th. This is a very convenient feature for the aware, but can trip
up those who leave it on "P", and emerge from a dark interior at
f/2.8, and forget to reset the lens.

> Also I have gotten idea that OM-PC can adjust shutter speed  when using a
> flash.

  By "a flash", I am assuming you mean a T-20/32 type unit. There's three
flash modes. 1) OTF Program - Program selects when flash is needed, fires
and controls it automatically. 2) OTF Auto Flash - Flash fires
automaically at shutter speeds of 1/60th or slower, under camera control.
3) Manual Flash - Set unit to manual - Set shutter to 1/60th or slower.

                                        *= Doris Fang =*