Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:00:49 EDT

<<Hello:
I just purchased a OM-PC as a replacement for my OM-40 (OM-G).
I understand the functionality until I get to the new features.
As I understand it; ESP provides an alternative means of reading the light
in all modes.
Automatic mode is aperture preferred as in the OM-40.
What is Program mode?  And how does it work?
Also I have gotten idea that OM-PC can adjust shutter speed  when using a
flash.
How is this done?
Thanks for any help,
Larry
(lsdresne@xxxxxxxxxxx)

In ESP mode of the OMPC , the camera ignores extreme differences in lighting.
For instance, shooting in ambiant light indoors with a light source in the
frame, ESP will ignore (sort of) the light source and set exposure based on
the rest of the frame.  If you're familiar with the statistical bell curve,
the OMPC throws out values that lie outside the bell.  ESP is specially
effective for:  Backlighting  (try to keep the main subject fairly near the
center of the composition--Check for the ESP Metering symbol in the
viewfinder);  When part of the subject area is extremely bright; and, when the
surrounding area is very dark.

Program mode selects both the aperture and the shutter speed for you based on
an internal algorithm.  The idea is to get the shutter speed up to hand-
holding speed, then to stop the lens down for best depth of field.  Just put
the camera on <P> and set the aperture ring to the smallest available aperture
(largest F number).  Use this with ESP for very good auto exposures.

With an Olympus T-series flash, the OMPC delivers OTF (off the film) metering.
You actually have three different modes available:  OTF program; OTF aperture
prefered; and manual.  This works wonders with bounce flash, diffused flash,
and extreme closeups.  And it's all based on how much light is actually
striking the film surface.

It's a nice little camera.  Just be sure to have extra batteries on hand (357
is best, or SR44) because, without batteries, you have a very highly machined,
precision paperweight.

Enjoy
Ed