Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] I need help with OM-PC
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:28:20 +0100
Larry wrote:

>I just purchased a OM-PC as a replacement for my OM-40 (OM-G).
>I understand the functionality until I get to the new features.
>As I understand it; ESP provides an alternative means of reading the light
>in all modes.
>Automatic mode is aperture preferred as in the OM-40.
>What is Program mode?  And how does it work?
>Also I have gotten idea that OM-PC can adjust shutter speed  when using a
>flash.
>How is this done?

Larry, I had an OM-40 for a while which had ESP and Programme (I thought
that it was the OMPC).  ESP, as I understand it is one of the early matrix
metering systems which seems to have worked well.

Programme on the OMPC must be the same as on the OM-2SP in which the camera
times the aperture close-down (from full open to the calculated
requirement) and thereby sets the aperture required by the (simple, linear)
Programme.  Note that it will only close down as far as the aperture set,
which gives you some control over the Programme setting (however, you are
supposed to set the minimum aperture for the lens).  For example, if you
have an 50/1.8 lens and you set F5.6 with Programme, any reduction in
exposure required (say for a sunlit subject) will be taken out by shorter
shutter speed during exposure - automatically.  In this way you might
restrict depth of field, but still use Programme.

Programme works on a simple, linear scale, increasing exposure by greater
aperture and longer shutter speed for decreasing EV.

The camera will set 1/60 when using a T-series or 3rd party dedicated flash.

I hope that this helps.

Chris

"Mankind hopes vaguely, but dreads precisely." George F Will