Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:54:07 -0500
Stuart wrote:
OM content :  I would love to purchase a suburban as an extended camera case
for My OM10.   I bet I would really enjoy carrying that sucker around ;)

My last post (for now) on the subject...

It's true.  The suburban makes a great camera case.  The center console is
big enough to haul four 6-packs.  The back end is big enough to store a
Bogan 3021--fully extended!  And you can carry 7 people and their backpacks
to the trailhead.  Or you can actually carry a baby or two and all the
paraphanalia that goes along with them!

Oh, lest you think I'm a rich, snobby yuppie--we bought our's used.  It's
almost 9 years old and we spent $10,500 on it.  You can't even buy a Honda
Civic for that.  Our '94 Jeep Cherokee (also resale-red) we bought a few
months ago for $9000.  I just priced a brand-new Suburban, outfitted the
same way as ours would cost $41,500 USD.

provide little advantage in the interior compared to a minivan.  However,
we sold a minivan to buy the Jeep.  The minivan had far more room, but in
comparison, handled poorly, was a pain (literally) when dealing with
childseats, turned like a barge, rattled and squeeked, had horrible seats
and was less safe (higher death/injury rate) than the Jeep.  The Jeep gets
better gas mileage, handles like a sportscar, is easy to work with
childseats, has superior rollover protection (yes, even the Cherokee), and
rides like a compact car.  The interior space is comparable to a Toyota
Camry station wagon, but is actually slightly more comfortable for my 6' 4"
220 pound body.  Besides all that, you get terrific ground clearance and 4WD
for running over slow moving obsticles that cross your way in the urban
jungle.  <g>

Fuel efficiency is a drawback of the mega-suvs, such as the Suburban.
However, we drive it a lot less because of the poor gas mileage.  In the
end, I consume the same amount of fuel as I did with a 30mpg car.  I
typically fill the tank only once a month.

A Suburban would be a nightmare in a city like NYC.  But, how many limos are
there?  Last time I checked, the taxicabs were mostly Crown Vics and
Impallas--not exactly Yugos.  Still, trying to shoehorn a suburban around in
the city gets old in a hurry.  But I don't live in a big city, and my
commute is three miles with just one stoplight.  Shoot, the lines in the
parking lot are even sized right me me too!  If I lived in the city I would
commute on bicycle or motorcycle (yes, I'm just crazy enough), but would
probably haft to carry a billyclub for handling rude drivers in their
suburbans.

OLY Content:  10 foot rolls of background paper actually fit inside the
Suburban!  Remember, the Olympus cameras may be compact, but everything else
is not--especially studio gear.

Ken