Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 21:37:01 -0400
>>Yes, I love their reasoning: it's OUR fault for driving big cars that
THEY'RE getting hurt in their little ones.  Seems to me that THEY should
pay higher rates because of their higher risks.  Course in todays political
climate, that's FAR too logical. (BTW, are most of them driving Paul,
George or Ringo? <g>)>>

It's your fault (collectively, not personally) because you kill people.
This is like an arms war; where will it end? And you are paying higher
rates because you kill yourselves. Because they hit curbs and roll. Because
they go around curves and roll. Guys that drive these things are getting a
huge free ride because they are classified as trucks, and therefore do not
need to meet the same safety regs as cars. In fact, they should, because
they are being used as cars. I don't remember seeing anyone driving a
Lincoln Navigator with a few bags of cement and some 4x8's sticking out of
the rear...

As strongly as I feel that they are wasteful and dangerous, I do not
support any government regulation against them, except for the fact that
since they are being used as cars, they should be treated like cars.

But you should also admit that insurance companies are the ultimate arbiter
in a free market. If a group like yours costs them money, you gotta pay.
What's wrong with that? Pay up or get a car. Markets are efficient...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com