Re: [OM] ROR on OM-mirrors?

Subject: Re: [OM] ROR on OM-mirrors?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 23:38:31 +0000
The mirror is front mirrored, which means the reflective layer of
aluminium, or whatever, is not behind a sheet of glass as with those
commonly found in the home.

This means the surface you are trying to clean is likely to be a lot
softer than glass and any slight abrasion may scratch it.

There is a lens cleaning product called Opticlean which is gently
painted onto the surface to be cleaned where it solidifies trapping
all dirt and grease within it.  You then peel the skin off along with
the trapped contaminants.  I suspect this stuff could also be used to
safely clean viewfinder mirrors as well as lenses if you were very
careful none of it went anywhere other than on the mirror

I once encountered some info on the net which stated that astronomers
sometimes use this method - not neccessarily the same product - to
clean the reflecting surface of primary mirrors in telescopes.

I intend to acquire some Opticlean soon and try it out first-hand.

Giles

Giles, and others who are interested in Opticlean,

I have found Opticlean listed in the ad by MX2 The Camera Food Company
in UK in the May, 98 issue of Photo Techniques (It is a UK magazine,
but my local newspaper and magazine store had a copy; this is a great
neighborhood for the cameras and the paper/magazines!).  The Opticlean
lens fluid Starter Pack 3ml is UKP7.95 and the Opticlean lens fluid
Professional Pack 6ml is UKP10.95.

I would say that Opticlean is an expensive stuff.

The store's phone number 01481 43024 (Fax 01481 47288).  Their mailing
address is MX2, St. Clair Hill, St. Sampson, Guerney, GY2 4DS.

Tomoko Yamamoto
<<