Re: Subject: Re: [OM] How to test "new" OM-4T

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [OM] How to test "new" OM-4T
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:17:29 EDT

<<
 This is an interesting thread. I just got my  Sensia and Kodachromes back
from
 my trip to Greece and I am disappointed with the results of my OM2n. Too many
 pictures appear very underexposed (dark, muddy). Most of my exposures were
set
 on Auto. (pictures from a bus and fast moving items are hard to get in Manual
 mode).  Sooo, I am getting an OM4T for its spot metering.
 It seems that the OM2N either  in need of calibration, the full screen auto
 exposure is confusing me, or I need to set the exposure compensation at an
ASA
 other than the films recommended ASA.

<< Ed, great explanation of spot metering - maybe we can go more in depth.
 Suppose I want to take a picture of someone's face against a bright sky - do
 just spot meter the face? Will this come out properly (and allow the sky to
be
 overexposed which is OK for this composition?) or do you meter on a neutral
 density item?

 Boy a few examples sure would help.

 Ken M.

You got it.  You must meter the part of the scene that you want properly
exposed.
Example:  Beautiful girl at the beach.  Sun to the side, blue sky, white sand.
With the spot meter, meter the skin tones.  With the OM2n you should go to
manual; move close to where the skin fills the viewfinder; set the exposure;
compose, shoot.  Note that's in manual!!  Same thing you will do next time
you're on the bus trying to take shots out the window---Set the camera to
manual; meter on the ground making sure that none of the sky is in the
viewfinder; compose; shoot.  You'll want to check your settings when light
changes and you'll get much better final results with this method using print
film instead of slide film.  For shooting from a moving vehicle jump on up to
at least 400ASA or even 800---you need all the shutter speed and exposure
lattitude you can get.  Slide film has much less margin for error.  I'll go so
far as to say that a slow slide film should never be shot on automatic when
the sky is involved.  {And would love to hear about the exceptions to that
statement--never is strong word and so often striking photos are made by
violating the "rules" of photography----or is that another debate?}
POINT!!!  Once you have properly exposed negatives you must also get them
printed properly.  Girl on beach properly exposed will be a semi transparent
image surrounded by much darker sky/sand/etc.  The printer MUST compensate by
giving just enough light to properly expose the girl.. If a straight averaging
print is made, the girl will be way too dark.  Note that this is also true
where the auto mode was used.  You have to go back to the negative.  If you
can see good detail in the part of the girl, you can get a good print.  If the
image is washed out or very light, try again next time (more exposure)
This is darker in front of lighter.
Lighter in front of darker is similar except this time the area surrounding
the image will be washed out (will print dark) while the image will be
properly exposed.

Hope this helps
Ed