Re: [OM] Focus Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Camera
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:17:58 -0800
On 22 Jul 98 at 11:15, Bryant Wetzel wrote:
> All,
>       I think there is more here. If they have your money captive, and are not
> sending you the product you should demand nothing less than all your money
> back. The maternity leave line is BULL. My bet is that when you try to
> trade that cash into goods the prices will all be above full retail, and
> they will likely jerk you around on that! Or, they will finally send you
> the stuff, only it won't be the right stuff, and then want a large
> restocking fee. Go to your bank, forcefully, and see if they will reverse
> the transfer.

It may not help, but here in BC, the Consumer Affairs branch of the Finance
Ministry (may not be the correct name, they keep changing), will step in, in
some cases like this. There is a law governing major purchases which protects
the consumer for a specified time, allowing a full refund, regardless of the
companies policy. This is designed to protect those who get sucked in to buying
things, then realize they were suckered a few days later.

I almost had to use this once on a vehicle purchase, but luckily was able to
put a stop payment on the cheque. It was nice to know that the guy I spoke to
was prepared to report the dealer to the police and follow it up.

Maybe NY has some consumer protection laws, or agencies willing to go to bat
for the consumer at no cost?