Re: [OM] Gotta spend August in Melbourne... any tips?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gotta spend August in Melbourne... any tips?
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:51:05 -0400
>Mahlon, you lucky dog! A MONTH! I'm jealous. A few years ago I got a
>trip to Perth - fell in love with that city and the people. I can't say
>much about Melbourne other than do not eat the vegemite, and pack

I was raised on Vegemite.. my Australian Mother's answer to anything that
ailed us. (She was a WWII war bride from Melbourne). While I must admit I
never was very fond of it, I have spent a significant amount of time
searching for it in the US over the years.    My Mum is absolutely
convinced it is all that's keeping my 81 y/o Father alive.. so I have made
regular runs to the Australian tourist store on Siesta Key in Sarasota
where I used to buy it at an outrageous price!!  Now, however, the store
has closed, and I'm reduced to ordering it through a friend in Washington
DC.  In Florida, Publix supermarket sells Marmite which is a poor imitation
(according to my Mum) but if you try it you will appreciate the REAL thing
when you get it!  On other trips to Australia I've bought it by the case
lot along with their wonderful tinned jams.  When we lived in Panama we
couldn't find jam in any form so a case of Australian jam was a wonderful
gift.

Another thing I enjoyed very much were the various fruit cakes that you
could purchase anywhere.  We'd carry them along for trail food.. chocolate
fruit cake really packs an energy punch!  But all of this has nothing to do
with Olympus!  So, I'll say that even when down along the south coast in
freezing weather my Olympus worked perfectly!

If you get a chance to see anything else in Australia, a trip to the North
East into the tropical areas is wonderful.  Also, bring good bird lenses.
I was amazed at the birdlife in Australia.  Whole flocks of Sulphur Crested
Cockatoos are seen in the parks and I have beautiful pics of a flock of
black Cockatoos in trees.  Much of the bird life is very colorful.. but it
would be hard to be more so than the Rainbow Colored Lorikeet.  Kangaroos
aren't even a challenge. They're as common as squirrels in the US.  Oh, I
wish I was going!!

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151