Re: [OM] Email Language (Zero OM-content)

Subject: Re: [OM] Email Language (Zero OM-content)
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:58:02 +0200
Chris Barker wrote:

> I wonder what others think of the language and tone which we use on the List?
[...]
> For the those clever people who are using English as a 2nd language, do they
> feel that we are not making enough allowance for the slight nuances which we
> (or they) are missing in their messages? [...]

Hi Chris and others,
IMHO language isn't as much a problem as tone here. I know I miss slight
nuances in my mails and certainly a lot of nuances and allusions in
other peoples mails just slip me by. But this can't be changed that
easily and understandig comes with practice. Tone is a different matter
though. Terms like 'ignorant', 'twit' and the like, used in heated
discussions about frozen subjects, are asily understood and I would love
people to use 'slight nuances' instead (even if they might escape us
non-native speakers).

> Finally, what about the use of shortcuts like "u" and not bothering with the
> "Shift" key [...]

No problem with that, except for all those TLAs, ETLAs and GETLAs ;-)

> Well, my policy, in e-mail and in life, is to be polite unless others give
> one a reason not to be!

Nothing personal Denton, just a thought: one doesn't have to actually DO
everything, one has a REASON to.
Hey come on folks! After all, this isn't the Leica-list!

Just my 2 Pfennigs, and sorry for the utter lack of OM-content. But I'm
sure not only Chris, Ingemar and me are sensing a change in atmosphere.

Soenke, Hamburg