Re: [OM] Selling photos - getting a start

Subject: Re: [OM] Selling photos - getting a start
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 21:26:36 -0700
Shawn;

You're certainly not alone, though you probably ARE nuts.  Selling photos is
not an easy
NUT to crack. I know a woman who's been trying to sell work to calendars,
magazines,
stock, etc, etc for a5 or 10 years.  Believe me, she's got some GREAT shots.
Some polar
bear work that's at least the equal of Wolfe and Mangleson, for example.  But
she's had
very limited success.  Factoring in time, she's FAR in the whole moneywise for
her
efforts.  She's been trying to crack the Sierra Club calendar NUT for longer
than that.
They say they look for 'new' talent.  Bull.  Every year it's the same old
Rowell, Wolfe,
Clifton ad nauseum. OK OK, their stuff IS great, but give others (like my friend
Barbara) a chance if their work is on par and hers is.

Anyway, point being there are 'names' out there rookies have to draw editors
attention
away from and it ain't easy.

Suggestion to learn more: get a copy of this years "Photographers' Market" at
any large
bookstore.  Perhaps send in a submission to one that looks promising and see
what
happens ...

I've been selling my prints of my slides for about 5 years.  Factoring in time,
I'm
probably $$thousands in the hole.  A friend is retired and sells his prints
full-time at
Art & Wine shows here in Cal.  He figures over the past 6 years he's made about
$6/hour.

Hope this dose of reality as I've seen it doesn't discourage you or anyone.
Your
mileage may vary and I'm right now building a darkroom in my new house so I can
continue
my (NUTTY?) dream of making money from photography.

george