Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: Paul Van Tuyl <olympusguy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 21:25:40 -0500
R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

> In your message dated: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:32:35 CDT you write:
> >Recently Lee Hawkins told me I was totally wrong in advising people to
> >remove their frozen film from the cannister to warm up and dry out
> >before using. His educated comment was to leave it in the can to warm
> >up. I had never heard of anyone doing this because it keeps the moisture
> >in the can with the film! An obvious dumb thing to do. However, knowing
> >Lee is somewhat informed, I telephoned a number of professional
> >photographers that use frozen, outdated film in their work. We sell to a
> >bunch of wedding photographers and serious amateurs who buy 50 to 100
> >rolls from us at a time.
> >
> >It was unanimous, no one leaves the film in the cannister to warm up.
>
> Well, Paul, I called Kodak, and they inform me that their film is packed in
> low humidity air, thus if the canister has never been opened, and the film
> is frozen, the film should be left in the canister until it has thawed
> and come to room temperature.  Furthermore, Fuji's web site has the
> following to say on this subject:
>
> Does Fujifilm Professional Film Require Refrigeration?
>
>     In General It Is Recommended That Fujifilm Professional
>     Film is Refrigerated To Keep The Optimum Color Balance.
>     Allow Refrigerated Film To Warm To Room Temperature
>     Before Removing From Its Protective Packaging for Camera
>
> The same applies for film that is frozen.
>
> Here's a test I encourage you to try:
> On a *very humid* day, take a roll of film, freeze it, then bring it out
> of the freezer sans canister, and watch the dew form all over the can.
> Now take a fresh roll for which the canister has never been opened ever
> since the film was packed, freeze it, then bring it out of the freezer.
> As it thaws, condensation will of course form on the outside of the
> canister.  But the inside of the canister will remain dry, since the
> film was packed in dry air to start with.  After the film canister and
> film inside has had time to come to room temperature (not before), open
> the canister.  I seriously doubt you will see any drops of moisture.
>
> >Most take the film out of the cannister and throw it into their
> >equipment bag right away to be ready to shoot as the situation dictates.
> >Most everyone's comment was, does someone actually leave it in the can?
> >Next time look inside the cannister and see the moisture that collectsd
>
> You won't find any, unless you have previously opened the canister.
>
> >there.Too bad Lee. OLYMPUS Dude.
>
> No, Paul, I just feel really sorry for anyone who still believes
> anything you say.  I wasn't trying to flame you when I corrected you, I
> was attempting to be nice but correct a misunderstanding which I thought
> might cause some people (especially those who live in humid locales)
> some problems.  Apparently you chose to take it as a personal attack,
> which it wasn't.
>
> --Lee

Good response Lee! I guess San Antonio is dry enough where this is not a
problem. The film is not packed in vacuum cans so I guess if you are in
a low humidity place it doesn't make any difference?  I think Consumer
Reports did something on this some years back and may have been in
conjunction with the myth about freezing batteries to make them last
longer. Paul.