Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:48:44 -0800
On  9 Jul 98 at 11:32, Paul Van Tuyl wrote:

> It was unanimous, no one leaves the film in the cannister to warm up.
> Most take the film out of the cannister and throw it into their
> equipment bag right away to be ready to shoot as the situation dictates.
> Most everyone's comment was, does someone actually leave it in the can?
> Next time look inside the cannister and see the moisture that collectsd
> there.Too bad Lee. OLYMPUS Dude.

Paul,

All this tells me is those you questioned have never bothered to think or ask
about how to properly thaw film.

I have been told, heard about, or read the same advice about "thawing" film
from so many sources over the years that I assumed anyone who knew enough to
freeze film should also have heard this same advice. Aside from this, it is
just common sense that condensation will form on items removed from the
freezer, especially in humid areas.

In your position I should think you may now want to inform your customers that
thawing film in the way you described does place them at risk of having
condensation on the emulsion when it is exposed. Even if the condensation has
evaporated by the time the film is exposed, there is still a possibility of
water stains, however minute this may be.

And your closing remark was uncalled for - Lee was simply correcting a
statement you made which could result in problems for others should they take
your advice.