Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:17:55 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:32:35 CDT you write:
>Recently Lee Hawkins told me I was totally wrong in advising people to
>remove their frozen film from the cannister to warm up and dry out
>before using. His educated comment was to leave it in the can to warm
>up. I had never heard of anyone doing this because it keeps the moisture
>in the can with the film! An obvious dumb thing to do. However, knowing
>Lee is somewhat informed, I telephoned a number of professional
>photographers that use frozen, outdated film in their work. We sell to a
>bunch of wedding photographers and serious amateurs who buy 50 to 100
>rolls from us at a time.
>
>It was unanimous, no one leaves the film in the cannister to warm up.

Well, Paul, I called Kodak, and they inform me that their film is packed in low
humidity air, thus if the canister has never been opened, and the film
is frozen, the film should be left in the canister until it has thawed
and come to room temperature.  Furthermore, Fuji's web site has the
following to say on this subject:

Does Fujifilm Professional Film Require Refrigeration?

    In General It Is Recommended That Fujifilm Professional
    Film is Refrigerated To Keep The Optimum Color Balance.
    Allow Refrigerated Film To Warm To Room Temperature
    Before Removing From Its Protective Packaging for Camera

The same applies for film that is frozen.

Here's a test I encourage you to try:
On a *very humid* day, take a roll of film, freeze it, then bring it out
of the freezer sans canister, and watch the dew form all over the can.
Now take a fresh roll for which the canister has never been opened ever
since the film was packed, freeze it, then bring it out of the freezer.
As it thaws, condensation will of course form on the outside of the
canister.  But the inside of the canister will remain dry, since the
film was packed in dry air to start with.  After the film canister and
film inside has had time to come to room temperature (not before), open
the canister.  I seriously doubt you will see any drops of moisture.

>Most take the film out of the cannister and throw it into their
>equipment bag right away to be ready to shoot as the situation dictates.
>Most everyone's comment was, does someone actually leave it in the can?
>Next time look inside the cannister and see the moisture that collectsd

You won't find any, unless you have previously opened the canister.

>there.Too bad Lee. OLYMPUS Dude.

No, Paul, I just feel really sorry for anyone who still believes
anything you say.  I wasn't trying to flame you when I corrected you, I
was attempting to be nice but correct a misunderstanding which I thought
might cause some people (especially those who live in humid locales)
some problems.  Apparently you chose to take it as a personal attack,
which it wasn't.

--Lee