Re: [OM] Don't mean to start a fight... BUT...

Subject: Re: [OM] Don't mean to start a fight... BUT...
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 06:44:12 -0400
>Color print: Kodak Royal Gold.  My old favorite, Ektar 125, is no
longer
>available.  I've heard that Kodak updated Ektar and called it Royal
>Gold. Anyone know if this was true or just a marketing tactic?

For some obscure reasons, Kodak seems to find it neccesary to give
their films different names depending on the marketing area, change
emulsions w/o changing names, changing names for more or less the same
emulsion, or don't market some emulsions at all outside the US (? I
believe there was never an Ektar 125 marketed here, but an Ektar 100
instead - but maybe they used a different name?).

Anyway, Ektar is still marketed here in Europe using the same name,
although they improved the emulsion (naming it T-grain, which, I
believe, has APS roots). It's sold in 100, 200, 400  and 1000 ASA).
Since their website gives the same specs for Royal Gold we can assume
that this is the new name in the US for the improved Ektar. BTW, Ektar
100 is my favourite for macro work.
GPX 160 is sold in Europe as Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160 (my favourite for
portrait shots, and yes indeed why is it missing on their website?).
Kodak Gold Max 800 is sold in Europe as Kodak Gold Zoom (and you have
to study the box carefully to find any film speed specifications - same
is true for the improved Gold 400 which I believe is also called "Max"
here in Europe).

My favourite for available (low) light pictures has been the Fuji Super
G Plus Press 800 (find the Fuji Super HG 1600 having an absolutely ugly
grain). I'll try the Kodak Ektapress Plus 1600 sometime in the near
future. Would have used it for the Stones pictures if only the stupid
lab hadn't forgotten to order it and there was no time for further
quests.
For normal daylight work I prefer the Fuji Superia 100. Haven't done
any slide shooting yet but I'm thinking about it. For occasional B&W
shots I use either Illford 125 or Kodak T-Max 400.

Hans