Re: [OM] 6 volt for modeling lights: caveat!

Subject: Re: [OM] 6 volt for modeling lights: caveat!
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:32:02 EDT
Hi Frank,
Thanks for saving me some time and $'s on my idea.  We all here can rely on
you to point us in the right direction.  There is nothing wrong with your
memory.
Thanks again,
Buddy Walters

<< Hello .... Buddy (if my ageing memory is still serving me OK).
 I tried something like that: connected the modeling lights to the 4 AA
 cells in the T-Power control unit. But it was too much drain indeed,
 and I think it will be for the winder too.

 Of course it must be possible to use the winder batteries as a power
 source for the modeling lights, although you will have to modify the
 internal wiring to the jacket in the bottom of the winder. Normally,
 when plugging an external power source in, at the same time the
 internal power is cut off. You will want the opposite: have the
 internal power connected thru to an outside cable. This can be wired -
 but after that you can no longer connect an external source to the
 winder (unless using diodes) .... difficult choice, I guess.

 But there is another solution: if the big Power Pack 2 is too much to
 carry, why not use a 6 volt Power Pack 1, consisting of 4 AA batteries
 with the same plug on the cable end? This small item will almost
 always find a place in your bag....

 Of course the limitations resuting from the 4 AA cells will be the
 same (the power pack 1 is meant for using with the winder), but it
 saves you a difficult choice and the electronic modification.

 If you cannot find an original Power Pack 1, you can make one from any
 holder for 4 AA cells, a length of cable, and the plug that fits
 winder and flash. And if you think slightly bigger: 4 C-cells or a 6
 volt camcorder battery - generally any 6 volt power source will do
 perfectly well here. Think of the polarity - if you want to use it for
 the winder too..
 Good luck,
 Frank. >>