Re: [OM] New archive format, search coming soon...

Subject: Re: [OM] New archive format, search coming soon...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:08:26 -0800
On  6 Jul 98 at 12:29, Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

> Wow, this is quite an improvement, Shawn!  I like the way the threads that
> have been indexed.
>
> I am wondering where you are going to put the archive.  I am afraid that
> some people might be sensitive to their names and their e-mail addresses
> published on the Internet in an author directory.
I am a bit concerned about this also, but even just our current archives pose a
significant threat as they are wide open to spammers, who often use automated
e-mail "robots" to scan web pages for addresses. Finding any mailing list
archive, whatever the format, is a gold mine for these lowlife spammers.
As an example, a few years back, I did a white pages search on my e-mail
address and name, and was surprised to find *hundreds* of occurrences, mostly
resulting from correspondence on a list which had public web archives.

> Perhaps it might be desirable to keep the archive address private.  When one
> joins the list, one gets the e-mail with the address of the archive and a
> few other pieces of information for members.
This is a good idea also.

But, I think *any* archive will be subject to abuse from spammers. I'd like to
hear any other concerns on this issue...

btw: I did finish the code to strip the "footers" from the archives, so once
the format is settled, they will be free of this annoyance. Sorry, but digest
subscribers still have to see them, at least until the next release of
Majordomo...