Re: [OM] New archive format, search coming soon...

Subject: Re: [OM] New archive format, search coming soon...
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:29:18 -0700
Shawn,

This is a vast improvement :-).  Its not an Excite-like search engine, but
it surely is a great leap forward.  I would suppose by "a while to crunch
all the messages", you have some sort of utility program that accepts all
the individual messages as input, converts the text to html and then creates
the links, but has no other formatting or editing capabilities.  This is my
kinda longwinded way of asking if there is an automated way to remove the
footers?  Its certainly not worth any manual effort, but if they can be
programatically removed "for free", it would be another improvement.  As it
is, there is a space reserved for a new bookmark in my browser.

John P

===========
I was part way through some bits of code for stripping out the footers, but
then
decided to try some pre-packaged stuff. I suppose I could still do it, but the
footer has changed several times, which makes it a bit tougher to do. (The html
comes from monthly archives, which are one large file (~3Mb) per month.) I
figured the footer is bit less annoying in the html, since it only appears
once,
and you know there's nothing to scroll past as was necessary in the old
digests.

Oddly, two of the perl based search engines have disappeared from their proper
homes, so I've been unable to test these today. I've already discarded a simple
search which took about 90 seconds to search one month...

Even with faster code, I suspect poor old Zuiko is going to feel the burden
pretty soon...