Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:06:08 +0000
I have read in a news group that the 'best' lens cleaner is a
colloidion one called Opticlean.  Does anyone have any experiences
with this magical stuff?

Apparently a colloidion lens cleaner is one that you gently paint on
to the lens surface.  It then sets or gells forming a film which traps
all contaminants.  Before it sets completely you apply a special
sticker near the edge which becomes embeded in the film itself.  You
then peel off the film and all dust, greasy fingerprints etc.

I also came across a more general reference to colloidion cleaners on
the net wherein astronomers home-brewed their own.  They stated it was
the next best method to using a vacuum chamber and a plasma (?).
 Because there was NO abrasive action involved such as with all
methods involving a liquid + wiping action. They said it was suitable
for bare metal mirror surfaces.  Seems like it would be a good and
safe way to clean an OM viewfinder mirror.

Has anyone actually used Opticlean?  I gather it is quite expensive
but have never seen a figure mentioned.

Anyone in the UK care to give them a ring and find out where it can be
obtained and the price?

 Caliope Ltd.
 3 Marfleet Close
 Great Shelford
 Cambridge CB2 5LA
 United Kingdom

 Phone: +41.(1)223.844.375
 Fax: +41.(1)223.844.414

I posted this once before but nobody seemed interested or responded
so I thought I would post it again.

Giles

snip